Date: August 29, 2019
Pregnancy is the most awaited phase of a woman’s life that makes her complete and gives her the joys of motherhood. Although troublesome and tricky, pregnancy is the most cherished memories of a mother. It is followed by childbirth and consequently, lactation follows! New mothers who are first time pregnant are ignorant of the things that should be done during these nine months and things that should be avoided. For them, it is necessary to consult an expert nutritionist who can guide them with the entire process and help them come out of this sensitive phase with flying colors.
There are certain diet regime as well as an activity schedule that an expecting mother should follow to give birth to a healthy and sound child. A proper and trained nutritionist can explain thedos and don’ts of pregnancy and lactation and thus all your concerns and curiosity gets an answer. Let’s explain certain guidelines for a mom-to-be!
Dos in Pregnancy
- Do get adequate nutrition from a well-balanced diet. Eat well if you want your pregnancy to go smoothly.
- If your body still lacks certain nutrients, consult your doctor to get some extra dosage of multi-vitamins or iron. Sometimes the body fails to absorb adequate nutrients from the food intake and so additional supplements become mandatory.
- Do sleep for at least 8 hours or more if you feel like. Adequate rest is the most important factor for fetal growth. The brain needs enough rest and so small naps and sound sleep is important.
- Do exercises and workouts on a regular basis. You all know that an active body is good for both the mama and the baby. There are certain yoga moves that are extremely beneficial for the flexibility in a pregnant body. Regular exercise may help you overcome problems of mood swings, insomnia, and weight gain or muscle stiffness.
- Do eat a lot of seafood as they are rich in vitamins and minerals. Check with your nutritionist before indulging in some.
- Do listen to soft music as it calms down and soothes your mind
- Do drink lots of water and fluid intake to keep your body hydrated.
- Do take tetanus and flu shots to avoid any chances of infection and diseases.
Don’ts in Pregnancy
- Don’t smoke during pregnancy and lactation as it is extremely harmful to your health. Smoking raises the chance of birth disabilities and lowers birth weight in children.
- Don’t consume alcohol as it plays a negative impact on your child’s development. If you primarily had a drinking issue and fail to quit it during pregnancy then do consult an expert at the earliest.
- Don’t eat raw vegetables and raw meat as they may be contaminated with microbes and may cause stomach upsets.
- Don’t consume unpasteurized dairy as they may be infested with harmful bacteria that can posehealth issues.
- Don’t use the Sauna and Jacuzzis in the first trimester as it increases the risk of miscarriage.
- Don’t drink a lot of coffee or tea as high caffeine can increase the fetal heart rate.
- Don’t lift heavy weights as you may suffer pelvic pressure that may lead to stillbirth or miscarriage.
- Don’t eat sharks or some prohibited fish variety due to high mercury content.
There are a lot more things to do and to avoid during pregnancy and lactation. Only a nutrition expert can guide you through the entire process in the right manner. MS Priyanka Agarwal and her foundation-Nutriee can be your best guide during this critical time and help you with the right set of advice. Do contact us today and let us make your pregnancy and lactation period a memorable and cherished one.